What feature ideas do you have for Social Fixer?

Use something like Dropbox to sync SFX data between browsers

411 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ckelsoeckelsoe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Maureen SheaMaureen Shea shared a merged idea: Social Fixer Sync  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Synchronize different PCs/tablets - start from where you left off in another device  ·   · 
    CrazyphilCrazyphil shared a merged idea: Use Firefox Sync to sync preferences between computers  ·   · 
    Rex WelshRex Welsh shared a merged idea: Keep my settings and apply them to all my browsers. Forgive me if I missed that you offer this already.  ·   · 
    Ron WiningerRon Wininger shared a merged idea: saving option setting  ·   · 
    Rob McMillinRob McMillin shared a merged idea: A way to save prefs directly to disk rather than cut-and-paste export. The same in reverse.  ·   · 

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kuba MaciejczykKuba Maciejczyk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not store at least posts marked as read in separate file instead of prefs.js and add an option to set custom path for this file? Then the user could place the file in dropbox folder or use any other syncing solution. Syncing the whole profile is not always good option.

• KelemvorKelemvor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you install the Portable version of Chrome into a Dropbox folder, you can then run Chrome from dropbox and it stores all the settings in dropbox. I did that for a while and had pretty good luck with it...

• Bela LubkinBela Lubkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still like the idea of storing SFX data as a "draft note" on FB itself. This would be compatible across all SFX-capable browsers and does not require any 3rd party APIs or accounts.

Would probably need to be manually initiated -- if you were continually updating an FB note, FB would likely get annoyed. So add "Save state onto Facebook" and "Restore state from Facebook" options to the main "wrench" menu. Each should do its work immediately, so it's just click-point-click to achieve the goal.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ie synchronize all the posts I hid in 1 device to another device without having to start hiding them again

• ngyikpAdminngyikp (Admin, Social Fixer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Merged another idea to this:

Use Firefox Sync to sync preferences between computers

Since having to export, copy and import preferences every time is quite cumbersome, adding Firefox Sync support (see https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Firefox_Sync/Syncing_custom_preferences) to Social Fixer would allow one to seamlessly move between computers and always have the same preferences, hidden posts, etc. everywhere.

I like the idea of embedding it in a FB note. Then it's right there on any PC I use. Going to have to try that. Would be great if SFX could do it automatically with 1 click though. :)

Seriously, what prevents you from saving the settings as a "Draft" ("Note") directly on FB?

Not involving Dropbox et al means you don't force your users to sign up with another service. The repository is by definition always available if FB itself is available. It's perfect.

• David ReesDavid Rees commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps you could bug greasemonkey to add the functionality to its API. Then you could use it.

I've been using the copy-paste-box workaround to store my settings in ... a "Note" draft on FB itself. Advantages:

- it's always accessible if FB is
        - when automated, requires no additional permissions granted to the app
        - all the data transport is over protocols & methods you're already using

Please upgrade this to "planned" :)

• RealParadoxRealParadox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was just looking to add a suggestion for a feature like this giving you the option to use a cloud or webhost stored preference file via URL since I use this on numerous PCs and my filters are getting out of hand with all the meme spammers. I'd be happy just for a cloud stored filter file.

Meaning to imply: it's OK, at least for v1 of feature, to just anoint a preferred storage hole (dropbox or similar) and code entirely to that. Make the user supply their own URL (but still has to be with the chosen service unless you've got access to a generic "interact with dropbox-like-substance" API...)

... and it's OK, for v1, not to do any sort of automatic syncing at all. Up to the user to say to himself: I'm done with this machine/browser/whatever, let's save my state, I'll pick it up elsewhere later. And then remember to pick it up later.

I'm in pain because I keep tweaking a setting here and there, then moving to one of my other machines and it's wrong. Soon I have a few little enhancements on each machine and no way to merge them. :(

I'm not allowed to give this more than 3 votes :(

Please put together a hack job version. UI mockup in ASCIIhorrorVISION:

| Social Fixer Preferences Maintenance
        | ====================================
        | Choose import/export location:
        |
        | ( ) To/from above box (for cut & paste)
        | (x) To/from Dropbox URL _____________________
        |
        | [x] Include Story Data ("read" statuses) in export
        |
        | [Export Social Fixer Prefs] [Import Social Fixer Prefs]
        | [Clean Story Data] [Reset Social Fixer Prefs]

I really need this. I access Facebook from at least two browsers (Opera, Chrome) on at least 4 different machines; most of them daily. Plus the horrible Android FB app, but I don't expect that to sync with anything in a useful manner.

I went to the trouble of configuring everything as I want it on this, my out-and-about laptop. I can copy and paste config settings once, that won't be so bad; but I really want the markings of what I've already read to be maintained.

I like Josh B's idea with Google Docs. That's available anywhere. I don't want al lmy dropbox stuff on my work PC. :)

• Christopher TodescoChristopher Todesco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's a better idea: write the user preferences (plus Story data) to a bookmark, and then we can use XMarks or the browsers' sync capability to propagate the preferences across all browsers. Other plugins (NoScript, TooManyTabs) have already done this successfully.

• Apostol ApostolovApostol Apostolov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about the ability to email the export to your own email? This should be standard between all versions and allow you to backup in your email service of choice. Also, how about a tip that reminds users to export once 14/30/60 days so the user can easily be reminded to keep his recent settings safely backuped.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base