What feature ideas do you have for Social Fixer?

Replace Bing maps with Google Maps or OpenStreetMaps

Bing maps suck, espeically outside of the U.S. An option to replace them with Google Maps or OpenStreetMaps would be great. There's a GreaseMonkey script that does this for Flickr, so I can't imagine it would be too hard to implement. http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/1574

185 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mik ScheperMik Scheper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ngyikpAdminngyikp (Admin, Social Fixer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@William Helton - This is just like those advice that people can use Google Maps on iOS 6 and can ignore Apple Maps, you CANNOT escape Apple Maps as it is hard-wired into the operating system and apps have to use it (Including Find My iPhone), exactly the same situation for Facebook, sure we can escape Bing Maps and copy the address/coordinates into Google Maps, but it is not convenient.

• William HeltonWilliam Helton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i hope that everyone reading this is fully aware of the fact that you can already accomplish the absolute, very same result within your browser's own functionality.

while viewing your popped-up Bing map within FB, gaze to the top-left corner of that map and directly above the map's Zoom-In (+) and the Zoom-Out (-) buttons you will see the map location displayed in white text. highlight the location with your mouse, right-click, and then....OUCH, holy crap, believe-it-or-not, among your options are, "Search Google for LAZY-VILLE...POPULATION 7+ BILLION."

so lastly ~ and this one is for the geniuses at SF ~ after fixing this guys map-issues, how soon can you add a "Wipe-My-Ass-For-Me" button? It's just that, ever since someone else did it for me when i visited Thailand, wiping my own ass really sucks ~ especially outside of the U.S. There's already a similar button that wipes peoples asses for them in 3rd-World countries, so I can't imagine it would be too hard to implement it into the much more evolved and privileged First-World countries. thank you in advance!

• fabiofabio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i've found a facebook-chrome extension called facebook-panda that seems to work fine...the only problem is that (at least for me) once it is active i can't see some elements in facebook, ae the list of blocked contacts in chat

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ngyikp, that's great, but a SF fix would be better, especially if it got past the scrollable limitation

• Fred OdomanFred Odoman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a cracking idea. Letting Facebook get away with bedding down with Microsoft can't be good for the general community. Yes, the US is big, but it isn't the whole world; there's more world out there than the US, and much of it isn't very well supported by Bing maps.

• StanStan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a brilliant idea. Bing suckz. Google all the way doods. :-)

• Tim LewcockTim Lewcock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I heartily agree with this. Bing Maps are appalling in comparison to Google maps. I don't think that OpenStreetMaps has quite the same level of functionality or smoothness as Google Maps and I think that more people use and like Google Maps so that may be the better way for acceptance by the majority of users. Of course, if you can customise the Social Fixer plug-in to use whichever map service the user specifies (no doubt from a pre-defined list) then that would be the ultimate Fix. :-)

Feedback and Knowledge Base